Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Mummy Head Tut.


Queen Hatshepsut
I call my mummy Queen Hatshepsut, but recently found out that she was not a queen at all. She was a pharaoh! In fact, I discovered recently on Wikipedia that she is often referred to as the first great woman in recorded history! She was married to Thutmose ll and upon his death proclaimed herself pharaoh and reined for an amazing 21 years!
Here is her mummy:
Isn’t she gorgeous?? I think this is my favorite Halloween decoration that I have (and believe me I have MANY). She looks so stunning as a centerpiece on my coffee table, and now I can’t imagine Halloween without her!
This project is so easy. As I’ve mentioned before, I don’t consider myself crafty, but this was a fun and easy project. Seriously… anyone can do this in less than 30 minutes!
Here’s What You Need:
Materials:
  • 1 Styrofoam Wig Head/Holder (Value Village has tons of these at Halloween for $2.99).
  • Cheesecloth (1 package is plenty)
  • Paper towels (a durable/heavy duty brand).
  • Coffee or Tea (as dark as possible)
  • White craft glue
  • Scissors
  • Paper
  • Matches
  • Black felt pen
Directions:
  1. prepare a solution of coffee. Just a regular cup of coffee will work with a few grounds in it for extra measure… I’m not a coffee drinker and have no idea how to make coffee… so I just guesstimated. It might have been a little strong…. Anyway, then just take several pieces of the paper towel as well as a good chunk of your cheesecloth and dip it into the coffee. You don’t need to keep it in long to have it absorb the stain. Take it out and leave it somewhere to dry – I didn’t even rinse it. Another method that would work well would be to put the coffee into a spray bottle (the coffee doesn’t have to be hot) and spray the paper towels. Notice how some areas are darker? I let some of the grounds really soak in and just brushed them off when the paper towel dried.
  2. Leave paper towel and cheesecloth lying flat until it’s about 90% dry. Then cover the wig head with the white glue… just smear it all over generously.
  3. Layer the paper towel pieces around the wig head, overlapping each other until the entire head and neck is covered. I didn’t worry too much about the paper towels bunching and forming folds slightly as you wrap them around the head… I think this adds to the “mummification”! Okay, now your mummy head is done! Let dry overnight.
  4. Now for the museum sign: cut out a small rectangular piece of paper and fold in half. Then on one side, use the black felt to give it a border. Then write your mummy’s name in the center. Take your match and burn some of the edges to give it a well worn look {like it’s been buried in a tomb for centuries} and you are finished!
  5. The stained cheesecloth can be used as a mummy “scarf” around the base of the neck when your mummy is on display.
  6. Enjoy your new mummy!
Found On:
Mummy Head Tut. | uglyducklingtransformations

1 comment: